Remember how we looked at a minimum of 15 houses during the month of September to find the one we wanted? Well, you think we would have learned a thing or two while house-hunting… The only thing I can think of is that we were exhausted by the time we visited Casa Ellis and didn’t remember what to look for or ask about.
It turns out that we don’t have hot water which is alright except for the fact that I have to boil water on the stove to do my laundry. Not sure how people expect their clothes to get clean washing them with cold water. It doesn’t work in the US and it doesn’t work here. But I digress.
The second and more important thing we didn’t investigate was the water tank. Now, several of the previous home owners had proudly shown us theirs but again by the time we came to our house, we had simply forgotten about it. So, we don’t have one. What’s the big deal? It’s only a big deal when there is no water coming from the city which has only happened three times during the last two weeks. Why, you ask? We have no idea.
At first we attributed it to the fact that the water pipes in our neighborhood were breaking at an alarming rate. Luckily ours wasn’t one of them. Then we figured something larger must be going on. But when we learned that N never has water during the day and only in the evening, we felt blessed.
We have pool water to flush down the toilet (and to take a quick rinse), we have drinking water in a big 5 gallon plastic container, and we have ice cubes to keep the drinks chilled. What more can one need?
Astrid
1 comment:
Ahh, water. We SOOOO take it for granted in the United States. I remember living in Naples Italy for a month when I was around 19 and the water (and electricity) went out 3 or 4 times a week. Always had buckets of water in the bathrooms ready for the 'flush'. I thought it was weird at the time, but the older I get, the more I appreciate our access in the US to central plumbing / heating and running water!
Post a Comment